Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Here I am...


So here I am - blogging away. It's a strange word - blogging, isn't it? Kinda like google, makes you snicker at first, reminding you of the silly words you used to make up as kids (or was that just me?). But here we are, quite used to these nonsense words now, using them as part of our everyday language.

So, I thought I would start this blog to provide a more personal side to my business. To share my journey as I struggle to keep my sanity, juggling my two gorgeous boys, the business that grew to more than I could've imagined and the regular, everyday stuff of a woman in her late 20s. I don't like to refer to myself as a WAHM (work at home mother - another snort-worthy acronym), but I guess that's what I am. I have trouble with the 'work' part of it, like what I do is work - I get to watch my boys grow whilst doing what I love - designing, creating, sewing... And don't get me wrong, there are days when I would happily swap places with my husband, get dressed in nice clothes, pop my banana and 'Up and Go' into my bag and leave the toys, the breakfast dishes and the never-ending pile of washing behind. But when it comes to the crunch, I really wouldn't swap places with him, because I enjoy being the stay at home mum, even though some days it drives me nuts.

So should I tell you a bit about us? Ok, I will. My name is Katie, I am in my late 20s (how the hell did that happen?) and I live in a little house in Brisbane with my husband (who will be referred to as Brain - it's not a typo) and our two gorgeous boys, Ollie and Eddie.

Once upon a time, I went to uni and did a degree in Animal Studies (Wildlife Biology). Good times. After that, I bounced around doing various jobs, including vet nursing and working in an animal ethics office. Brain and I met at 19, married at 23 and had Ollie at 25. Eddie came along at the beginning of 2009. BabyBird Clothing took flight not long after Ollie was born. As I'm sure mums of boys know, it's a struggle to find non-mass produced, different, interesting, funky clothes for boys. It really, really is. I didn't want my son in liscensed clothing, clothing that could only feature cartoon trucks/tools/blue, tacky, sexual slogan t-shirts (I'm sure he could discover them for himself later on). So I started sewing.

I've ranted enough for now, haven't I? Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely intro - so with you about not swapping places with hubby esp. on a lovely sunny arvo in the backyard :)

    ReplyDelete